I AM A CHARACTER IN MY OWN FICTION.

The pretty-crazy life of a late 20ish career-driven, quirky, Asian drama addict who thinks she's Holden Caulfield in real life.

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Murphy's Law.

I first heard this adage from my friend, Edward (also my layout artist for Asian Quaity Magazine) one exhausting afternoon of trying to figure out what to do with our magazine's design. We've been caught up in atleast a couple of bad situations, practically hindering what's supposed to be accomplished. Edward said: "Nami-Murphy's Law tayo!" I, in my all cluelessness replied: "Nawa-what???" He sort of explained the meaning to me; something about whatever-can-go-wrong-will-go-wrong thing but I didn't actually grasp what he meant. But since then, I used it as an excuse whenever something - in the midst of may daily course of activities - goes wrong.

This morning, Na-murphy's law ako. I couldn't get a cab. It was annoyingly hot. I was late for work, blah, blah, blah. Sh*t. If Murphy's law is one big tornado, I would probably be swallowed whole.

Then, curiousity kills the cat (meowww!)so I looked up the definition of Murphy's Law. Wikipedia says:

Murphy's law is a popular saying in Western culture that broadly states that things will go wrong in any given situation, if you give them a chance. "If there's more than one possible outcome of a job or task, and one of those outcomes will result in disaster or an undesirable consequence, then somebody will do it that way." The saying is sometimes referred to as Sod's law. Finagle's law, which can be rendered as "Anything that can go wrong, will—at the worst possible moment," is a variation.

***

Anyway, I went to a wake last night. My former editor's mom died. The cause: heat stroke. Scary. My heart goes out to my former mentor who is such a kind-hearted and good-natured person. If it weren't really for my financial woes before, I'd stay in her company, grow with the values that she instilled upon me as a writer. I haven't thanked her enough.

It was nice to be with my old office buddies. We had our times, then we parted ways. I thought I'd never be seeing them again. But God has his ways.

No comments: